Gallery Invigilator – Job Specification
Parasol unit is looking for invigilators to assist with its exciting exhibition programme. The successful candidates will provide a welcoming and informative experience for visitors whilst assisting the Gallery Manager with the maintenance and protection of the artwork and venue.
Working hours are flexible and invigilators may be offered work on any day of the week including Saturdays and Sundays as well as evenings. The services provided to the Gallery are on a casual basis for an hourly rate.
– Protect artworks during exhibition opening hours
– Provide information to visitors about the current exhibition, forthcoming exhibitions, events and activities, as well as information about Parasol unit about the local area
– Adhere to health and safety regulations to ensure the safety of all staff and visitors (training provided)
– Open and switch on the current exhibition and evaluate artworks, informing Gallery Manager immediately in the event of any changes to conditions
– Help with basic set up of events, private views and gallery hires
– Carry out basic cleaning and maintenance of the exhibition space and gallery grounds
– Assisting Gallery Manager if and when required
– An interest in contemporary visual art
– Good timekeeping
– Relevant experience working with the public
– Proactive and comfortable working alone
– Gallery Invigilators are required to wear all black clothes while invigilating
– The successful candidates should be willing to commit to working at Parasol unit for at least six months
Please note that the Gallery Invigilator role is physically demanding in its nature and involves long periods of standing and walking between the venue’s different galleries. Parasol unit is committed to making reasonable adjustments to accessibility for candidates who need them.
Contracts are on a casual basis, and shifts are agreed at the beginning of each exhibition.
Tuesday – Friday: 9:50am – 2:00pm or 1:50pm – 6:00pm
Saturday: 9:50am – 6:20pm
Sunday: 11:40am – 5:20pm
£8 an hour Tuesday – Saturday shifts + holiday pay
£9 an hour Sunday shifts + holiday pay
To apply please submit the accompanying application form and equal opportunities form to firstname.lastname@example.org
Thursday 30th August, 12 noon
Do you have a passion for contemporary art or education? There are many rewarding opportunities for volunteers to engage in a direct and meaningful way with the delivery and development of the Education, Events + Exhibition Programmes as well as other key areas of Parasol unit.
From assisting with hands-on art workshops to welcoming visitors, volunteers develop professional and personal skills in a collaborative and supportive environment as well as gain free entry to events.
Contact email@example.com for more information or to discuss your interest in volunteering with the foundation!
In line with the foundation’s educational mission, we encourage high-calibre applicants preferably working towards or recently graduated with a master’s degree, and who are able to commit to volunteering either two or three days of their time per week (Wednesdays and additionally volunteering on Tuesdays or Thursdays, or both); in return, the charity provides a small stipend to aid with lunch and transportation costs.
Voluntary internships at Parasol unit are an excellent way to gain experience and help with the “behind-the-scenes” administration of a not-for-profit contemporary fine art gallery and educational charity. This is an integrated role within the charity by which we support learning and professional development. All voluntary internships will include exposure to and working closely with staff across all departments.
Ideally, internships are a six-month commitment from January through June, and from July through December. We accept applications every November for the January-June internship period (interviews held early December), and applications every April for July-December internship period (interviews held early May). Please clearly state which period you are applying for on your application form.
To apply, please download and complete the application form at the bottom of on this page and send it along with a PDF of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org in either November or April depending on the internship period for which you are applying.
Polite notice: thank you for understanding that due to the high number of applications we receive, only successful applicants will receive a response. If you do not receive a response by the end of November or April, please consider your application unsuccessful.